Sunday, October 30, 2005

President Freedom Fighters Assoc. I met in Airport

I met Hukamraj Mehta in Mexico City Airport. He was just returning from Cuba and was being detained by Mexican immigrations who were threatening to return him to Cuba. He spoke no Spanish so I helped him out. In the end they let him immediately board a plane to the US, for which he already had a visa to enter as he was planning on going there after his visit to Mexico. At 88 years, he was on what he said would be his "last" trip abroad. He had been in the US visiting relatives and decided to see Canada, Mexico, and Cuba. He asked me if I would take down his testimony regarding his visit to Cuba and share it far and wide. He was visibly moved by his experience there and was very eager to communicate his findings with the world. Please pass this on......


Hukamraj Mehta
President Freedom Fighters Assoc.
12 Ambamatha Scheme
Udaipur, Rajasthan
INDIA

15-10-05 Airport Mexico City

I came to Cuba on 10 October, a lonely backpacker. My regret is that I did not know Spanish. What I saw as an ordinary citizen without any prejudice for or against was amazing. I saw the museums, and monuments, but more than that, I saw ordinary Cubans. I searched for beggars and drug addicts in Cuba, but I did not find any. It appears that Cubans have lots of food. I did not find any weak emaciated persons. Everyone is so healthy and strong. I saw children in schools and in playgrounds. Cuba cares for its children better than many countries.

I salute Cuba, its people and its great leader Commander Castro
.

When Hukumraj Mehta asked me to take down this message for him, I didn't realize who he is. But after a little research I have come to know that he is no “ordinary citizen” as he modestly claims in his letter. He is an environmentalist, activist, writer, and president of the Indian Freedom Fighter's Association. During the struggle for independence from Britain, a young Hukumaraj was a Freedom Fighter and spent 2 years in jail for his activities.

He is a lawyer by profession and specializes in labor disputes. He has also been a union organizer.

In the early 80’s he founded a successful campaign to pressure the government into reforesting the Arvali hills. Later he founded the Lake Protection Society that won an 8-year battle to stop the destruction of several lakes in India.

Hukumraj spent the 90’s teaching his “Brown to Green” philosophy and techniques (with the help of experts who he was able to mobilize) to residents of the Pichola Water Shed area, home to 16 tribes.

His latest editorial piece is called: “Against Waste and Waist”, which he wrote from his impression of the US after a recent visit.